In honor of our inaugural Portland Women’s Run Club season, I’ll be introducing our new team members via this interview series throughout the next few months. Get to know these impressive ladies, and come join us for FREE workouts Monday nights from 6:30-7:30 pm in Portland!
Last, but certainly not least, meet Kara Shierly. Kara’s another one of our fabulous new run captains for the 2017 season, and we’re thrilled to have her at the helm of the team.
After completing her first marathon earlier this year – at the happiest place on Earth, no less – she’s admits she’s hooked. So be sure to hit her up for tips, whether you’re looking for tips on training as a newbie or balancing high mileage with a busy career.
We love Kara not just because she rewards us with booze at workouts (Cinco de Juno margaritas, anyone?), but also because she’s into a whole lot of cool stuff – from rock climbing and knitting (not at the same time, of course) to gardening, boating and HGTV-inspired DIY projects.
It’s people like Kara with adventurous spirits and can-do attitudes that get me fired up to get out there and try something new…and I hope you’ll be equally inspired!
1. What’s your favorite route? Anything next to water. Here in Portland it is the loop next to the river over the bridges.
2. What shoes do you wear? Asics have been my go-to for a while.
3. What other gear can’t you live without? A good pair of head phones. It is the worst when my ear bud falls out every five seconds!
4. What’s your best time-saver or “runhack?” I don’t have one. I hate being rushed; it’s my relaxing time.
5. What running-related thing are you better at than anyone else? I love mapping routes. I will look at dozens of combinations of roads to come up with one loop. And then I need at least one for every distance.
6. What do you listen to while running? Mostly upbeat music. On really long runs I will listen to ted talks to give me something new to thing about.
7. What are you currently training for? I am looking to do a half in the fall, but right now there is nothing scheduled for me.
8. What are your recovery & sleep routines like? After a really long run is the only time I let myself have chocolate milk. I look forward to it the entire time!
9. What’s the best running advice you’ve ever received? “This is your run.” We run for us, and that is what matters.
10. What’s your favorite running-related memory? I don’t have a specific one, but I love the races and the training with my friends. It always leads to more fun with friends.
11. Fill in the blank: I’d love to go on a run with __________. My sister-in-law. She lives on the East coast, but running together is what we bonded over when we first met. I miss that.
Thanks, Kara! We’re psyched to have you as part of our team leadership this year and look forward to more seasons of making memories together.
Friends, if you’re interested in being featured here (all levels & abilities welcome), please drop me a line at info(at)kineticfix(dot)com.