Stuck in a breakfast rut? Yeah…me, too.
As much as I love my usual yogurt/granola/fruit or whatever egg frittata we whip up over the weekend, sometimes my taste buds need a little variety. If I’m being really honest, once in a while they also need something sweet.
And when I want to venture into dessert-for-breakfast territory without totally throwing my system into sugar shock before 7 a.m., I experiment with oatmeal. With all the fixings, of course.
But where to start? Well, my lovely friend Corey, an RN and Arbonne Executive District Manager, knows I’m a supplement fan. So when a box of her very favorite Arbonne nutrition goodies arrived at my doorstep recently, I couldn’t wait to give the Chocolate Protein Shake Mix a whirl.
Not only does a serving of this stuff provide 20 grams of vegan protein (plus 20+ essential vitamins and minerals), but it’s also clinically tested and certified to have a low glycemic index, which has little effect on blood sugar levels and does not cause a spike in blood sugar.
A cure for my early-morning chocolate craving? Check. But one that won’t send me hurtling toward an energy crash? Yup. Let’s do this!
Nutella Banana Protein Oatmeal
- 1 package plain, unsweetened instant oatmeal
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup oat cereal (I used this one from Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp wheat germ
- 1/2 oz chopped hazelnuts
- 1-2 Tbsp Nutella
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used Arbonne’s)
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- In a bowl, mix the instant oats and hot water according to the directions on the package.
- Add oat cereal, chia seeds, wheat germ, hazelnuts, Nutella, banana and protein powder. Mix well to incorporate.
- Stir in milk (add more, as desired, to get consistency you like), and microwave for 30 seconds. Enjoy!