In honor of our second Team LUNA Chix Portland Run season, I’ll be introducing our new team members via this interview series throughout the next few months…get to know these impressive ladies, and come join us for a run Monday nights from 6:30-7:30 pm in Portland!
Next up, meet Alex Schrimp! She’s a Senior Research Assistant by day at OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital and has been a runner for a little more than three years now.
But after finding herself losing steam with workouts last summer, Alex needed some help staying motivated and holding herself accountable towards her goals. Enter Team LUNA Chix: One workout, and she was hooked.
Fast forward to this season — Alex is one of our rockstar team leaders, and is excited to help others find their fitness grooves again. Whether you’re looking for an upcoming race or ideas for how to spend your non-running time in Portland (hit her up for ideas on where to find the city’s best food, drinks and hikes…as well as what happened on this weeks’ episode of The Bachelorette), she’s your gal!
1. What’s your favorite route? I love to run from my house down to Tom McCall Waterfront Park, across the Steel Bridge, down Vera Katz Eastbank Esplanade, across Tilikum Crossing and home. It’s about a six-mile loop. It’s great on a clear, sunny day, but I also love it on those cloudy, rainy Portland mornings.
2. What shoes do you wear? I’m currently running in Brooks Glycerin 13 and Hoka One One Clifton 2.
3. What other run gear can’t you live without? I love my Garmin GPS watch and my hydration belt! I have to have hydration and fuel with me at all times.
4. What’s your best time-saver or “runhack?” One of the best ways I’ve found to get my training in while still seeing my friends is to run into downtown to meet friends for a drink or dinner in the evening. I get my sweat on and still get to see everyone!
5. What running-related thing are you better at than anyone else? I’m not sure I’m better at anything than anyone else is; that’s not why I run. I just like to get out there, relieve some stress and push myself.
6. What do you listen to while running? I listen to all kinds of music depending on what type of run (easy vs hard) I’m doing and the weather. I’ll usually listen to country music on easy runs and some top hits when I’m really pushing myself.
7. What are you currently training for? My goal for 2016 is to run one race/month and average a 9-min/mile.
8. What are your recovery & sleep routines like? I usually increase my water/electrolyte intake and try to eat within an hour of finishing a long or intense run. As for sleep, I shoot for eight hours every night!
9. What’s the best running advice you’ve ever received? Listen to your body. I think that’s the golden rule in running. It’ll tell you all that you need to know.
10. What’s your favorite running-related memory? Finishing my first half marathon with my sister!
Thanks, Alex! We’re thrilled to have you as part of the team this year, and we’re excited to cheer you on as you run down those race and pace goals this season.
Friends, if you’re interested in being featured here (all levels & abilities welcome), please drop me a line at info(at)kineticfix(dot)com.