In honor of our inaugural Portland Women’s Run Club season, I’ll be introducing our new team members via this interview series throughout the next few months. Get to know these impressive ladies, and come join us for FREE workouts Monday nights from 6:30-7:30 pm in Portland!
Next up is Margaret Hill, one of our most active former community members — literally; I dare you to keep up with this woman! — who is now leading the charge as a walk captain for our 2017 team.
Not only does Margaret put us all to shame when it comes to consistency with workouts (seriously; she’s been known to show up in full business attire – including pearls! – in order to make it to practice), but she also raises the bar when it comes to supporting others and giving back to the community.
On any given day, you can find Margaret volunteering with a number of local organizations, participating in regular half marathons, cheering on athletes at races, getting out on the town for fundraising events or immersing herself in the Portland music scene.
She truly embodies the motto of our fellow workout group, November Project PDX (of which she’s also a member), and not only “just shows up” but also brings her A game every time!
1. What’s your favorite route? Anywhere with trees and water.
2. What shoes do you wear? Currently, Brooks Ghost 9
3. What other gear can’t you live without? My phone and RoadID bracelet.
4. What’s your best time-saver or “walkhack?” For early mornings, I sleep in what I intend to wear; for post-work, I try to incorporate what I intend to wear with my work attire. It leads to some creative wardrobe choices.
5. What walking-related thing are you better at than anyone else? I have mad cowbell skills.
6. What do you listen to while walking? My brain and what’s going on in the world around me.
7. What are you currently training for? Portland to Coast Relay
8. What are your recovery & sleep routines like? I love post-race massages and stretching, and tend to take a nap after races.
9. What’s the best workout advice you’ve ever received? Just show up!
10. What’s your favorite walking-related memory? Tough to choose, but I’m going with van adventures during Portland to Coast 2015 with Team Eye Rock.
11. Fill in the blank: I’d love to go on a walk/run with __________. My friend Melanie with whom I did my first half marathon.
12. Anything else you want to add? I love doing good and free outdoor group fitness.
Thanks, Margaret! You show us all every single day what it means to really lead by example, and we’re so thankful to have you as part of the team.
Friends, if you’re interested in being featured here (all levels & abilities welcome), please drop me a line at info(at)kineticfix(dot)com.