Sometimes the best recipes come out of necessity.
Case in point: When you buy all the fixings for a beautiful salad, but forget the main ingredient that ties them all together.
The solution? Grab three basic ingredients, which are probably already in your pantry, and whip up this simple, delicious dressing.
Experiment by adding garlic, spices or fancy mustards if you want to expand the flavor.
Or use it as a marinade for chicken or veggies next time you’re stumped for a new spin on the same old weeknight meals.
KineticFix’s Mustard Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-4 tablespoons of your favorite mustard
- Measure out olive oil and vinegar, adding both to a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk in mustard slowly, using a fork to incorporate into oil and vinegar.
- Add as much as you prefer, tasting as you go (I usually stop when the dressing begins to thicken and emulsify — i.e. there’ s no more oil floating around).
- Drizzle over your favorite salad, and enjoy immediately!
Here’s how it looks before you add the mustard — the oil and vinegar will separate in the bowl.
And after you whisk in the mustard, it should thicken up and take on a more even consistency.
Have you stumbled upon a great recipe when having to improvise?
Sounds YUMMY!! I’ll have to try this for sure 🙂
Lemme know what you think 🙂 I’m partial to it with kale, dried berries, apples, walnuts and chicken!
I use balsamic + EVOO together all the time, but have never thought to add mustard. Thanks for the tasty tip!
No prob…and enjoy!
I like fresh mint and fresh parsley (growing in pots on my porch), with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and dried oregano. It’s great on a Greek salad!
That sounds awesome! Gonna try it next – thanks for the recipe 🙂