Nothing rings in the holiday season quite like visits from family and friends, all kinds of comfort food, and the smell of something cinnamon wafting from the oven.
This recipe just happens to combine all of that; plus, I was curious to see if I could mimic my favorite candied nuts without the use of added sugar.
While these walnuts don’t have quite the same candy-like taste, they do have all of the flavor, making them perfect for snacking by the handful or adding to dishes where you don’t want to get smacked in the face with sweetness.
And the ingredients are easy enough to have on hand; so whenever you’ve got guests at your door, you’ll know bellies will be happy and folks will be filled with holiday cheer.
Havarti-Date Bread Bites with (un)Candied Walnuts
- 1 c walnuts
- 1/2 c Bard Valley Natural Delights Medjool date paste (directions here)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- 1 baguette
- 1 package pre-sliced Havarti cheese
- Extra 1/4 c date paste for spreading on bread
Directions for the (un)Candied Walnuts:
- To make candied walnuts, preheat oven to 350ºF and mix nuts, 1/2 c of the date paste, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and hot water in a bowl until nuts are evenly coated.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread nuts on it in a single layer. Bake about 10-15 minutes, watching very carefully, and remove as soon as the nuts look dry – they will burn if left in too long!
Directions for the Havarti-Date Bread Bites:
- While nuts are cooling, cut baguette on an angle into inch-thick slices and arrange on another baking sheet.
- Spread a thin layer of date paste on bread slices and cover with a piece of Havarti cheese.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove, top with a candied walnut and serve immediately.