This recipe came about by accident one cold morning when I was looking for something hot for breakfast. My usual cereal or yogurt wasn’t going to cut it, and we had yet to take our weekly grocery trip, so I pulled out a few ingredients from the cupboard and started to experiment.
It’s quick, easy and tastes just like the popular dessert cake — talk about a breakfast trifecta!
German Chocolate Protein Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup water (or milk)
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Mix oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for two minutes in 30-second intervals (watching to make sure it doesn’t boil over).
- Remove from microwave and add protein powder, walnuts, coconut and cocoa to cooked oats, stirring to incorporate. Enjoy!