Her Skinnygirl empire has been a hit with the health-conscious crowd, so it’s no surprise that Bethenny Frankel, newly-minted talk show host and former celebrated natural foods chef, would take a stab at delicious guilt-free versions of popular pumpkin recipes for fall.
Below are two classics that Frankel reworked with her talent for “fix-ology” – a term she coined for the ability to take calorie-rich foods and revamp them into healthier versions without compromising flavor. For more of Frankel’s favorite healthy recipes, go to Bethenny.com.
Bethenny Frankel’s Pumpkin Spice Muffins (Makes 1 dozen)
- 3 cups oat flour
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 2 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup unsalted walnuts
- 12 muffin cups
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine raw sugar, melted butter, oil, eggs, pumpkin and water. Beat for 90 seconds, or until well mixed.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices, stirring until no streaks remain.
- Combine flour mixture and pumpkin mixture. Stir in nuts and cranberries; stirring only until all ingredients are mixed.
- Cover batter, and allow it to set at room temperature for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place muffin cups in muffin holders and fill 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until muffins tops spring back when lightly touched.
- If the muffins will be frozen, allow them to cool for 1 hour, then tightly wrap in plastic wrap; store in freezer zipper bags.
- To reheat, wrap loosely in foil and bake for 5-10 minutes at 350°F. (Or they may be reheated in the microwave wrapped loosely in a damp paper towel.)
Bethenny Frankel’s Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake
Ingredients for crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers, crushed finely (approximately 9-10)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Ingredients for filling:
- 2 8 oz. containers reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup raw sugar plus 2 teaspoons
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 can of 15 oz. pumpkin (do not substitute pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the crushed graham crackers, butter, applesauce, and ground ginger.
- Press into the bottom, and about 1 inch up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake crust 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup raw sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Mix eggs in one at a time, blending well after each.
- Set aside 1 cup of the mixture. Blend 1/4 cup raw sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar and nutmeg into the remaining mixture.
- Spread the pumpkin flavored batter into the crust, and drop the plain batter by spoonfuls onto the top. Swirl with a knife to create a marbled effect.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until filling is set.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan, and allow the cake to cool before removing pan rim.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.