I think we can all agree that snacks are pretty awesome.
That quick energy boost is a must, whether you’re deep in race training, pushing through the mid-afternoon slump of a work/school day or chasing after a toddler with a battery that just keeps going and going…and going.
But, alas, very few snacks lie at the intersection of “treat yo’self” and “treat your body well,” which is why I’m really excited to share this recipe for my No-Bake Mocha Energy Bars.
You guys: If fudge and a brownie had a baby, it’d taste just like this – but the best part is that they’re made with just a handful of whole-food ingredients.
Not only did they pass the husband-taste-test with flying colors, but they’re also loaded with protein, fiber, natural sugar and all kinds of vitamins and nutrients. So get your snack on!
No-Bake Mocha Energy Bars
- 1/2 c almonds
- 1 c walnuts
- 2 c Bard Valley Natural Delights Medjool dates
- Near-boiling water (to soak dates)
- 1/4 c warm water
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee
- 1/4 c brown rice syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 c almond butter
- 1 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1/2 c sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c pumpkin seeds
- Pre-soak dates in hot water for 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- Process almonds & walnuts in food processor until they’ve reached a mealy consistency. Place into a medium bowl & set aside.
- Process soaked dates and warm water in food processor, adding in cocoa, vanilla and coffee until well blended.
- Continue processing date mixture, adding in brown rice syrup, almond butter and the nut meal from step 2.
- Transfer ooey-gooey goodness into a medium bowl, and add in oats and seeds. Stir to combine.
- Press into a 9×9 pan lined with parchment paper, and freeze for 30 minutes to harden.
- Lift bars from pan and chop into smaller pieces. Store in an airtight container in the freezer to keep from getting too sticky at room temp.
- When ready to eat, enjoy straight from the freezer!
Let me know if you try these; I’d love to hear your thoughts!