Ever have a moment when you see a shot of a baked good, and it looks so tantalizing that it literally stops you in your tracks?
Ok, maybe that’s just me.
When blogger friend Carleeh Mulholland posted pics from her recent Banana Zucchini Chia Bread baking session, I suddenly found myself at the grocery store on my lunch break to gather the ingredients.
She had tweaked the original recipe, doubling it, along with adding a cup of zucchini, 1/4 cup of chia and a extra banana for oomph. I figured I could take it a step further by taking out some of the sugar, playing with some “healthier” flours and packing in some more fiber with wheat germ.
The result speaks — or rather, shows, in the image above — for itself: a super-moist, super delicious bread that had hubby sneaking seconds (and thirds!) as a late-night snack.
Loaded Zucchini Banana Bread
(adapted from LittleBitsOf.com & special thanks to Carleeh for the heads up!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 small zucchini, finely grated
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg, sugar, agave nectar and vanilla until combined. Add the butter and beat until smooth and the butter is fully incorporated. Beat in the buttermilk, bananas and zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and wheat germ. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet until all the flour is incorporated.
- Spray two loaf pans with non-stick spray, and pour half of the batter in each.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I am not sure how I missed this! I am so glad it made you run to the store! I felt the exact same way when my friend and neighbor Lorieann shared a piece she had made with me! She made sure to send the pin to me so I could recreate it! Wasn’t it to most yummiest moist banana bread ever?! I have to fight off the urge to make it everyday! xoxo Carleeh
Heck yeah! I made a double batch & my husband took it into work to rave reviews 🙂 This bread was such a hit, and I can’t wait to make it again…thank you so much for sharing & let us know if you run across any more yumminess!