I’ll be honest: The first time I saw this recipe from my fit friend Erica Stenz (aka SF’s hottest trainer), I wrinkled my nose in disgust.
Now, you know I love healthy, nutrient-dense foods as much as the next person, but there was just no way that this combination of ingredients — pickles, apples, dates and tuna — could taste good…right?!
Well, Erica, I stand corrected…which is precisely why I’m sharing it here.
A word to the wise: Don’t over-think the ingredients. Just assemble, and enjoy (I promise).
Erica’s Healthiest Whole30 Approved Tuna Salad
- 2 cans of albacore tuna, no salt added and in water
- 1 diced apple (I used Gala)
- 1 diced kosher dill pickle
- 2 diced Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 diced avocado
- 1 diced bell pepper (I used red)
- 1 diced cucumber
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard (no white wine vinegar for Whole30)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or fish oil)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of curry powder, optional
- Add salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, add dressing ingredients and whisk together using a fork.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
If using these ingredients together is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.
Don’t ask me how, but they work so well together to create a wonderfully fresh, tangy, sweet, savory combo.
And for some additional nutrients — gotta get those greens! — I layer it in a bed of kale for a light, yet satisfying, lunch.