Much to our dismay, weather reports continue to call for seriously Siberian-like temperatures this winter. And while everyone knows to bundle up and keep supplies on hand, many of us aren’t shielding our skin properly from this sub-zero weather.
Enter Indie Lee, eco-chic lifestyle expert and founder of the all-natural namesake skincare line, with a soothing salve recipe: Avocado oil is a great source of natural hydration, non-greasy beeswax dries quickly, while lavender-infused oil provides a calming scent that you won’t mind slathering all over hands, heels and elbows.
Indie Lee DIY Lavender Winter Hand Salve:
- 1/4 cup dried lavender flowers
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (can also use olive oil)
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax pastilles (or grated beeswax)
- Pour avocado oil and lavender flowers into glass measuring cup or saucepan and heat slowly over lower heat. Once mixture is warm, remove from heat and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. This will allow the lavender oil to infuse.
- Once this has had time to sit, pour the mixture into a glass cup or bowl through a cheesecloth or fine strainer to remove the majority of the lavender flowers.
- Create your own double boiler by placing a few inches of water in a saucepan and place the cup containing the oil into the pan of water. Warm this slowly over low heat until the water simmers. While you wait for the water to simmer, add the lavender essential oil and beeswax to your oil.
- Let this mixture sit in the simmering water, and stir until the beeswax has melted completely.
- Pour liquid salve into a pretty jar or container, allow it to cool, and voila — you have your own all-natural hand salve that can keep your skin soft for up to six months!
What do you use to protect your skin from harsh winter weather?