After all the holiday diet debauchery, hubby and I decided it was time to detox this month with some healthy meals. That, and I have a slight problem when it comes to tearing recipes out of magazines (and never making them), so we figured we’d kill the proverbial two birds with one stone on a recent weeknight.
This particular recipe was adapted from the January 2014 issue of Fitness magazine; I opted for a heftier green with more nutrients than the original watercress, and hubby suggested we throw on some Gorgonzola for an extra kick (it pairs so well with the steak).
The result? A hearty salad that’s full of fresh flavors — and pretty much the perfect dish to accompany those in-progress New Year’s resolutions.
Grilled Steak and Rainbow Chard Salad with White Beans (serves 4)
- 1-pound flank steak, trimmed (and rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder & cumin)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 4 cups Rainbow Chard, rinsed and shredded
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- Heat a grill pan over high heat, cooking steak for about 6 minutes on each side for medium rare.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board, and let rest for at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing diagonally across the grain.
- While steak cooks, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus the garlic, in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat for about a minute.
- Add beans, tomatoes, juice of lemon and 1 teaspoon lemon zest, simmering over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- In large bowl, toss salad with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add steak and bean mixture to greens, tossing gently to combine.
- Divide into 4 equal portions, topping each with a sprinkle of Gorgonzola cheese.
I’ll leave you with a parting shot of the beans and tomatoes simmering in the stove…I couldn’t resist capturing a moment filled with so much protein and so many antioxidants. Enjoy!