Dubbed the “Eggocado” by author and entrepreneur Tim Ferris, this compact breakfast bake is a nice alternative to the usual scrambled eggs or cold cereal.
Admittedly, the texture and consistency take some getting used to (hubby loved it; my verdict is, “meh”), but it’s nice to start your day with some healthy fats, fiber and vitamins.
The recipe is incredibly simple; top it with your favorite hot sauce or Sriracha for an extra kick in the pants to get you up and out the door in the morning!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 fresh eggs
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- Dash of pepper and salt
- Optional: hot sauce, salsa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Slice avocado in half, and place in a baking dish after removing the pit
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of flesh to make room for the egg
- Crack one egg into each avocado half. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until egg white sets
- Remove from heat, and garnish with grated cheese, hot sauce or salsa
Anything with avocado is good for me!!
Yes, the fact that it’s heated takes some getting used to (at least for me), but it’s full of healthy fats and will keep you full for hours!
Yeah, I’m with you Jennifer. The recipe looks good and simple, but I’m still working on getting used to the taste of avocado. (my fault.. I guess the ” avocado doesn’t fall far from the tree” ! (since we never really ate them as you were growing up). I’ll give it a try though!
I do like avocado cold…but heated, it takes some getting used to. If you want to ease in…try it in a salad dressing! Check out my Edamame-Kale Succotash Salad for a great starter recipe; it’s smooth, creamy and healthy.