But the fact that the average person eats more than 3,000 calories in a single BBQ sitting? That’s not nearly as appealing.
So when my husband came up with this tangy take on a classic pulled pork sandwich, my heart (and stomach) skipped a beat.
Sure, he swaps in chicken to cut fat and calories – but I’ll vouch that there’s no shortage of finger-lickin’ flavor!
One-Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups water
- 1.5 cups BBQ sauce (your favorite brand)
- .5 cup apple cider vinegar
- Package King’s Hawaiian sweet rolls
- Monterey Jack cheese slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, optional
- Pepperoncini, optional
- Season raw chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large pot (a dutch oven works best), add chicken, onion, garlic, BBQ sauce and apple cider vinegar. Cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer on low for 45-60 minutes to cook.
- Remove chicken, reduce liquid by half (to sauce-like consistency) by slowly bringing heat up. Stir often to keep from burning.
- Shred cooked chicken, adding meat into sauce and stirring to combine.
- Assemble sandwiches using sweet rolls, meat and cheese. Add hot sauce and/or pepperoncini, as desired.