Cook with a wok, and not only will you have a healthy, vegetable-dense dinner on the table in minutes, but kitchen clean-up will also be a breeze.
The first step on your way to the wonderful world of wok cooking? Pay a visit to Tane Chan, owner of The Wok Shop in San Francisco’s Chinatown.
The Wok Shop is not only known as the best store in the country for woks, but Chan just so happens to be the authority on Chinese cookware. In fact, she’s been selling woks for more than 35 years and takes great care in matching each customer with the perfect pan for his/her needs.
Step two? Find a wok-friendly recipe and start experimenting. Below is a deliciously-simple stir-fry to get you started!
Seven-Veggie Stir Fry
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 Tbsp corn starch
- 3 Tbsp peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (one red, one yellow), sliced thinly
- 1/2 head broccoli, broken into small florets
- 1 cup pea pods
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- Place cubed, raw chicken in a resealable plastic bag with corn starch and toss to coat
- Heat a large wok before coating with 2 tablespoons oil (you’ll know it’s ready when you flick a drop of water on the surface and it evaporates)
- Add chicken, stirring with paddle until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes
- Add veggies, stirring constantly while pouring in remaining oil, plus soy sauce, mirin, sweet chili sauce and garlic powder
- Cover for 4-5 minutes to cook vegetables until crisp-tender
- Continue to cook uncovered for another 2-3 minutes before removing from heat
- Serve alone or atop a bed of steamed brown or white rice
A few helpful hints:
Prepare veggies ahead of time to make quick work of this easy weeknight meal (we made extra for multiple nights).
Don’t forget to season your wok to create a non-stick finish that will add extra flavor as well as protect it.
And there you have it…there’s simply no better fun, fast (and yummy) way to get food on the table. Happy wokking!
Seven-veggie stir fry looks very healthy and delicious! I will add this on my nutrition list. Thanks!
You’re very welcome! Hope you enjoy it 🙂