Growing up in the Midwest, I always equated ‘succotash‘ with those bags of soggy, cubed veggies from the freezer section of the grocery store.
That’s right; you heard it here first, folks: Succotash is making a comeback!
I did make a few tweaks to the recipe – based partly on personal preference (I’m not a huge fan of the texture of Butter lettuce) and partly on sheer laziness (I couldn’t find lima beans at my store, so I opted for edamame and called it a day).
The result was pretty tasty, though, so if you try it yourself, be sure to let me know what you think!
Kinetic Fix Edamame-Kale Succotash Salad
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, shucked and kernels cut off
- 1 package frozen edamame, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, washed and finely chopped
- 2 cups grilled chicken breast, cooled and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- To make the dressing, blend buttermilk, avocado, parsley, garlic salt, dry mustard and black pepper in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Combine remaining ingredients (kale, corn edamame, chicken, onion, tomatoes and cheese) in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad mixture, tossing until it’s fully coated. Serve immediately.