When we moved into our house in the ‘burbs almost a year ago, one of the biggest draws was having a backyard — a little breathing room after years of city living.
While we miss the convenience, good restaurants, nearby friends and other perks of city living, our backyard has been a constant source of pleasure, relaxation and…unexpected surprises.
Like when I realized about a month ago that the large cluster of bushes in one corner happened to be blueberry bushes, just bursting with purple berries.
Needless to say, we’re up to our eyeballs in berries — whether freshly-picked and eaten or baked into pies, folded into pancakes and blended into smoothies, such as the one below.
This one’s been a recent favorite in rotation and is perfect as a quick mid-morning snack with protein, antioxidants and nutrients (plus enough staying power) to help you in that final push to lunch!
Blueberry Pie Protein Smoothie
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder
- 1 Tbsp Bard Valley Natural Delights Medjool date paste (directions here)
- 1/4 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp cashew butter
- Graham crackers (optional)
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Measure ingredients into blender (or large cup for an immersion blender)
- Blend on high until smoothie is your preferred consistency
- Top with graham crackers and and pinch of lemon zest…enjoy!
I’m taking suggestions for more blueberry recipes, if you’ve got a favorite to share!