Eating well on the run isn’t always easy. But eating well while running…or, more specifically, while training and building mileage can be even tougher.
Suddenly justifications abound for treating yourself. And before you know it, “just this once” becomes a regular part of your routine. Or at least for me it does.
That’s why I’ve started whipping up batches of what I’ve dubbed my Cocoa Recovery Truffles. Full of protein, good fats, vitamins, antioxidants and decadent flavor, they hit the spot when you’re craving sweets yet still deliver some great nutritional benefits.
Cocoa Recovery Truffles
- Approx 1 cup almond meal (use leftovers from making almond milk)
- 2 cups unsweetened, finely-shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 10 Bard Valley Natural Delights Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Combine almond meal, coconut, hemp hearts, cinnamon, vanilla, water, salt, dates & cocoa powder in a food processor, blending to a uniform consistency.
- Turn off food processor & scrape down the sides.
- Replace cover, turn it back on & slowly pour in coconut oil until fully incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl & stir in cacao nibs.
- Using a spoon, scoop mixture into hands & roll gently into small balls.
- Store in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper, for up to one week.
Almost as good as my favorite indulgence of diving spoon-first into a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough!