When your doctor suggests that you double down on healthy fats to help your baby pack on the pounds in its last few weeks in utero, you happily oblige. Especially when you know you’ve got friends with something delicious up their sleeves to help perk up plain old nuts.
Typically, candied nuts are coated in butter and refined white sugar. But Megan and Anna, the brilliant minds behind Zest Nutrition, created a recipe that uses egg white instead of butter and maple syrup and coconut sugar for natural sweetness.
These tasty tidbits are their creation, which totally hit when spot when you’re looking for a quick sweet-n-savory snack. In fact, they’re downright addictive. You’ve been warned!
Sweet & Spicy Walnuts
(via Zest Nutrition)
- 4 cups walnut halves
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat walnuts in egg white and maple syrup.
- Stir together remaining ingredients and toss with walnut mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, option to stir halfway through.
- Allow to cool completely before storing. Flavors enhance once nuts have cooled and the crunch has set in.