It’s become a joke this season on our Team LUNA Chix Portland Run team that it’s either scorching or pouring when we meet, so after several weeks of record-high temps I knew it was time to reach into my bag of tricks to get everyone motivated amid the malaise. We did this workout a few weeks ago, and it went over so well that I wanted to share it here.
Ever get one of those days where you’re just struggling to get that workout done? Whether it’s trying to get out the door or waffling on which type of exercise to do, this is the perfect way to fool your body into getting active when your brain’s not having any of it.
The I’m-Having-So-Much-Fun-I-Forgot-I’m-Exercising Workout
What you need:
- Deck of cards
- Track or open place to do some running (at least 100 meters at a time)
What to do:
- Make a list of body-weight exercises (think moves that can be done anywhere, anytime — planks, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, push-ups, etc.)
- Get a deck of cards, and write an exercise on each card (I wrote in numbers for face cards: Jacks = 11, Queens = 12, Kings = 13, Aces = 14)
- Give yourself a little something special for the Jokers (ours were “Run a lap”)
- Shuffle up the cards, divide them into four piles and place one pile every 100 meters along a track
- Start the timer, run to the first set of cards, grab a card off the top and do the exercises
- When you’re done with the exercises, place the card on the bottom of the set of cards and run 100 meters to the next pile
- Repeat until time is up!
We did 20 minutes for our workout, and when I gave the five-minute warning everyone was shocked at how quickly time had flown by.
Between the distraction of the run-exercise intervals and the element of surprise from the cards, I guarantee you’ll have a blast — and get a great full-body workout in the process.
What a great idea….so creative!
LikeLiked by 1 person
This is so great!! I love the mix of the running and the body exercises!!