While greens may be all the rage right now, there’s another member of the cruciferous family of vegetables you’ll want to add into your weekly meal rotation: Cauliflower.
Cancer-fighting, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich, the versatile veggie provides your body with plenty of vitamin C, vitamin K and beta-carotene, plus it supports healthy digestion and detoxification.
After hearing a bunch of buzz about using mashed cauliflower in place of potatoes and grated cauliflower in place of rice, I decided to take the latter for a whirl. Not only was it a lot easier to make than I thought, but the texture and flavor were a hit with everyone — even the toughest meat-and-potatoes critics!
Savory Paleo Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head cauliflower, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Zehnder’s Chicken Seasoning (or similar flavoring, you may want to try chicken or beef bouillon)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a grater, grate the cauliflower to a coarse texture that resembles grains of rice
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add garlic and onion, and sauté until garlic just starts to brown and onion is translucent (3-4 minutes)
- Add in cauliflower and continue to sauté for another 4-5 minutes or until tender
- Season with chicken seasoning, salt and pepper, and serve
Here’s a closer shot to show the texture. Honestly, it’s pretty tough to tell that this isn’t the real thing (i.e. rice) — and the best part is that it’s super-filling, yet low in calories and packed with nutrients.
And in case you’re wondering about the rest of the meal, I paired it with Almond Flour Chicken Fingers and broccoli for an all-around awesome Paleo-rific dinner. Enjoy!