This week kicks off the unofficial start to those lazy, hazy days of summer.
So what better way to ring in the season than with a hearty helping of this cool, creamy guacamole recipe at your Memorial Day get-together?
Not only is this an elegant appetizer that can be whipped up in a matter of minutes, but it’s also super healthy!
Just half an avocado contains seven grams of fiber, plus a healthy dose of monounsaturated fats (MUFA) that help lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and maintain the HDL (good) ones.
Scoop it up with veggies, use instead of mayo on sandwiches or (my personal preference) pair with baked chips and frosty margaritas for a heart-healthy happy hour.
Cool & Creamy Guacamole
- 2 Haas avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp of your favorite salsa
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
- In large bowl, mix avocados and lime juice. Add salt, and mash with a large fork
- Gently fold in onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, salsa, cilantro and garlic until well blended
- Let sit at room temp for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop before serving