One of the most exciting things about moving from San Francisco to Portland has been getting to know another city, meeting new people and, naturally, scoping out a fresh fitness scene. It also means playing athletic guinea pig and pushing myself out of my comfort zone, usually testing the limits of my coordination (or lack thereof?), as well as my stomach’s ability to keep lunch down.
Case in point: 9Round Fitness, a 30-minute circuit training kickboxing/boxing workout in Portland’s Pearl District. As much as I’ve been around the proverbial exercise block, this was my first taste of any kind of punching/kicking program…and on my first visit I’m pretty sure both the double-end and speed bags hit me more than I hit them.
Yet, like Vince Lombardi said, it’s not how much you get knocked down (or in my case, around), it’s about getting back up. So two visits later, I finally started to get the hang of things, and now I’m hooked. Here’s why:
1. With 30-minute circuits, you get an efficient, effective workout in the time that it takes to watch your favorite TV show.
2. There are so many health benefits to boxing for fitness; it’s the ultimate High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout.
3. The challenge of learning a new skill makes it all the more rewarding, especially when you can finally (wo)manhandle a speed bag.
4. New rounds start every three minutes, so you can swing by at your convenience and don’t have to worry about rigid class times.
5. Kickboxing and boxing are terrific ways to mix up your cross-training, build strength and confuse complimentary muscles into working harder.
6. Workouts are supervised by a trainer, which not only encourages proper technique and form, but also keeps you from slacking off.
7. Rest assured, you’ll hit all your major muscle groups in this total-body workout after nine rounds of different exercises.
8. You won’t get bored, either, because no two workouts are the same; trainers switch things up each day, so expect something new every time.
9. Finally, there’s something to be said for breaking a sweat with friends; whether you’re struggling, cruising or simply laughing through the workout, it’s an incredible way to spend some time together.
Interested in giving this workout a whirl? Visit 9Round.com for more information.